Thursday, February 9, 2017

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Dear Family,

Merry Christmas!! Happy Birthday Sadie!!!!!

Wow, what a week. I’m so happy for Mom to be back with Dad. I know it was a joyous reunion. They were always together so it was hard when they were separated. Thanks so much to Nancy, Raymond, Bob and LuAnn for all their loving care of Mom. It’s hard being away but with all of them looking after her it was easier, for me at least. Thanks to them from the bottom of my heart.

Tuesday we had an office party lunch and I’m going to send you some pictures but since they are of Russian people please to share them on social media. Roman bbq’d chicken and then we had bread, corn tortillas, vegetables, fruit and juice. The AP’s made brownies and Sister O and I made a cake. It was very delicious. That night we all went to the Ballet. We and the Ottesen’s bought them for the office. We gave them each two tickets except for the Klimovs who we gave three tickets because they have a handicapped son.

The Nutcracker was amazing. Since there weren’t any words we understood everything. I was thinking how much I’d love to be there with all our daughters, daughter in law and granddaughters. We faced timed with Wendy, Sadie and Grandma, shortly after we got back from that.

Wednesday I felt like a dark cloud was following me around because I couldn’t be there with Mom. By Thursday I felt pretty much back to normal. I started my personal prayers out Wednesday night by asking Heavenly Father to watch over my Mom; this has been the first thing I’ve said in every prayer for years now. Then I remembered that it was her turn to watch over us. Anyone knowing Mom knows she is definitely watching over us.

Thursday I was just blessed with peace. Seriously, Heavenly Father knew what I needed and blessed me with it. I am still at peace. Because I know, beyond any doubt where Mom is and that she is happy, how could I not feel peace. It’s hard for those of us left behind but having this knowledge makes it easier for me to accept. I left work early and made some chocolate and peanut butter fudge. I didn’t have my candy thermometer so I had to test a little of the mixture in a bowl of ice cold water. When it felt like a soft ball I knew it was ready. Everyone loved it.

Friday we had district meeting. Orenburg Skypes in with us. They are part of our district but are about an 8 hour bus ride away. After the meeting I give the rest of my district somethings I bought from Metro, such as Nutella, Peanut butter, popcorn, hot sauce and salsa. It’s amazing what you can get excited about. I even sacrificed my Christmas socks and gave them to my Avrora Sisters.

Next week we have 8 new sisters coming in and 1 sister and 2 elders leaving; Elder Johnston is one of them. He is Dad’s mission father and a really fine young man.  Almost every sister we now have will be training. In May, the two sisters we had come in last July will be the oldest sisters in the mission.

Friday, Dad and I walked up to the walking street to take pictures. They have it lit up for New Years (Jan 1). Their Christmas is Jan 7th but it’s not a big deal. New Years is when they pass out gifts. We got some awesome shots. We went out to dinner and then went home.

Saturday, I started cooking. We were having a Christmas Eve party at our branch starting at 3:00pm plus we were having the Ottesen’s , and Elders Buchanan, Quarnberg, Johnston, and Lytle over for dinner on Christmas Day. I made sandwiches for the Branch party and a pear cake that was topped with stuff that’s like an apple crisp. It is really tasty. Then I made rolls for Sunday. I also put together a meat loaf to bake on Sunday. We also had salad (from the Ottesens) Vegetables, Baked potatoes and fudge to eat. Everything tasted great. I always worry when I make something I haven’t made before. While I have made meatloaf before I used a new recipe.

Dad and I were going to take a break and go walk on the ice on the Volga River and then go to the market. We were just waiting for the laundry to finish (it beeps when it’s done and doesn’t quit until you turn it off). Dad was vacuuming when I thought I heard the doorbell. A few minutes later when Dad shut off the Vacuum the doorbell rang again. We weren’t expecting anyone, so Dad went and looked out the peep hole. He saw a policeman. He came to the kitchen to tell me and he called Oleg to find out what we should do. We’ve been instructed not to open the door. Oleg told us by law we don’t have to open the door to the local police and if they wanted to see us they could leave a summons on our door or in our mail box.

We decided not to leave our apartment for a while. Dad looked out the peephole a minute or two later and they were across the way at another apartment talking to a woman. Then Dad saw them head upstairs. There was a policeman and what he took to be a plain clothes policeman. They never left us a summons. We didn’t leave until it was time to go to the Christmas party.

The Elders did great decorating for the party. We had a food table that was chuck full. Everyone ate as we watched part of the Churches Christmas devotional. About half way through that they stopped it and did, like a, talent show. The Men got up and sang Silent Night, Sister Ludmilla got up and said something, with power and authority. Dad says after listening to her you feel like you’d march into battle with her. Each of the kids said something then elder Miller sang after which Elder Lee played a musical number. The group sang another song and then it was over. It was really fun. Sister Vera had made one of her famous cakes!!

Christmas Morning Dad woke up (I was already up) and wished me Merry Christmas. That was the first time I had thought about it being Christmas. It’s so different with doing all the things we normally do. I did manage to surprise Dad with Cashews and a new Russian jacket. He wasn’t too happy because we had agreed not to buy presents. I just looked at him and said how many times have you done this to me?  He was grateful and I got a kiss!

We just opened and read all your Christmas cards. They were greatly appreciated. I enjoyed Nica’s Testimony and her Hale Theater experience. I love that Grace and Lauryn are following in my and my sisters tradition, claiming to be the favorite daughter or in their case Granddaughter. I really loved all the art work and words, please know how much we love and miss all of you.

Love,

Mom









No comments:

Post a Comment