Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March 13, 2016

Well another week down. 


The Elders who stayed in the apartment before us left post it notes all over the place telling us what things were. The room for the office he name Narnia because when you go through the door you enter another world so to speak. When we got in bed the first night there was a note on the very high ceiling that said "Yes, you really are in Russia." That sucker is going to stay there until it falls off. Apparently Elder Affleck, who is 6'3", jumped on the bed to attach it to the ceiling. 

I did the washing for the first time a week ago, Saturday. It has all the settings in Russian. Elder Affleck's note said to turn knob once to the right and push start. He drew a picture of the start button. So I pulled out a small drawer thinking that was where to put the soap and found three bins. I wasn't sure what was for soap and what was for fabric softener. I ended up googling the model and make of the washer and was able to find out which bin was which. The washer is pretty small and there isn't a dryer. There are two drying racks to set up but I only needed one. Let me tell you, there is nothing like a nice clean, stiff towel to dry yourself with. The Elders and Sisters P-day is on Monday. That's when they do their wash and stuff, ours and those serving in the office is on Saturday. 

Our Washer,

Our Dryer!

I love to weigh myself on the scale here. So far in the past two weeks I've lost 10 pounds. The scale weighs you in kilograms that you multiply by 2.2 to get your weight. I asked the Elders who lived in this apartment about it and they said it was a very generous scale (darn). Elder Johnston said that wasn't good for him because he was trying to gain weight. Oh, what a problem to have. 

The apartment is beautiful. Wood floors and the furniture (dining table, hutch, side cupboard) in the living room is an elegantly grained, reddish wood color. The apartment comes furnished, some of owned by the church and some of it by the apartment owner. The china hutch is amazing, and filled with gorgeous china and glassware (belonging to the owner). The bedroom is about one and half times the size of ours at home with one wall containing built in closets. There is a second bedroom that has been turned into the office that has a twin bed in it. When you come inside everyone takes their shoes off and puts on a pair of slippers or goes in their stocking feet. It's the same way in the office. They let us leave our shoes on at church. 
Opa in his Russian home!

I am doing more cooking than I have in a long time. Dad and I take turns doing dishes and making our lunch to take to work. You can't drink the water so the apartments come with a big water dispenser. You use this to wash fruits and vegetables and your teeth. In fact part of the going home packet I put together for returning missionaries is some de-worming pills. The fruits and vegetables are really good here. Well I can personally attest to the goodness of the fruits. The juices you can buy at the store are wonderful. So far I love the bread, yoghurt, fruit and cheese. We've made beef stew, burritos' and spaghetti. You can't buy anything from street vendors because you don't know how they keep their meat fresh. The Russian people drink a lot of tea. 

Elder Merrideth pulled a fast one on Dad and I. He brought in this big bottle of a drink called Kvahss. He said it was somewhat like root beer. He poured some in a cup and handed it to me. It was the nastiest stuff I've ever tasted. It's made from bread. Even after my reaction Dad took a sip. He thought it was awful too. Elder Merrideth was one of our AP's but was transferred to a new area. I told him when he called me for supplies he might not get them. 

Elder Affleck and Johnston helped us last night. We walked to the "walking street" a place where cars aren't allowed. It's uphill with lots of stairs most of the way, it's a pedestrian mall of sorts.
Elder Affleck

Elder Johnston

While we were there a little old lady came up to the elders and asked about us. She wanted to know what hotel we were staying at and they told her we lived in an apartment close by which seemed to impress her and she proceeded to give us a Babushka's blessing, which wished us good health and happiness. It was very sweet. Then we walked back to the office to eat our dinner. It was good but I couldn't eat it all. I was still full from the Kentucky Fried chicken wrap we had for lunch. (Chicken, cheese and potatoes) 

Sister Hines, the sister I met at the MTC came in on Friday for orientation. Dad and I went to it as well. We learned some things we didn't know. They really don't want you to have dinner with the members because they can't afford to feed you. But if you do end up having to go you are supposed to bring a small gift. Along with not drinking the water you can't eat the fish unless it is imported from another country. You only give a person an odd number of flowers because an even number is for someone who died. It's rude to go around with your hands in your pockets. The missionaries can't congregate together because people become wary of that. They probably think that many suits might be the police. Men don't use chapstick in public because people will think they are not very manly. 

The Branch President's wife told me last Sunday that March and April were awful because of all the mud when the snow melts but beautiful in May. Air boats run across the Volga River all the time. Since the weather has warmed up somewhat we are seeing a lot more people out and about, definitely a lot of activity along the river. 
On the way home from church we passed some big dolls made from straw. Apparently they burn them saying goodbye to winter and hello to spring. 

Dad and I were asked to speak today. I ended up cutting my talk by more than half because I hadn't planned on the interpreter. Dad did the same thing. 
We are going with our AP's tonight to visit a member. Next Friday we are going to have dinner with our Branch President and his family. He is 33 so younger than you kids. He been in this position for awhile now. Then after that we'll probably go to English club with our Nova K missionaries. Saturday we've been invited to a baptism. Two new young men are being baptized, Andrea and Alexi. One of them called up the mission to ask for teachers. Our branch is mostly women but the priesthood numbers are growing. The Elders interpret for us at church. It's hard not being able to speak with everyone except to say thank you, please and good bye. They offer me lots of hugs and kisses on the cheek. The members are very warm and friendly and seem very happy that we are there

Saturday Dad and I went food shopping which was quite the adventure then after getting home to put in more laundry we went back out. We made our way to the walking street and went to several shoes stores looking for boots. I used the phrase Ochen Malla Rooskie a lot which mean very little Russian. I had printed on a paper the European size I needed but they didn't seem to understand that I needed a wide width. I finally found some that works. It is really muddy now that the snow is melting. The boots cost 2500 Rubles which is about $36. 

Well I've got to go get ready to meet the missionaries. I love you all. Don'tspitonya or goodbye.

Love,
Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment