Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March 6, 2016

Work went well this week. I just have to be trained on arrivals and departures. It is hard having to type the baptisms in Russian. Each key on the keyboard has both a Russian character and what's normally on the keyboard. When I'm typing Russian it's a one finger hunt and peck method. Then when I'm typing English I start looking at the Russian letters and type in the wrong thing. I have to proof everything several times. 

We went for a long walk along the Volga River. The pathway was really icy. They throw dirt on the ice to help with traction. Everything is melting now so there is lots of mud. Dad and I both need boots. The ice that was across the river when we first got here is all but gone. Air boats were crossing back and forth now. 

We've been assigned to the Nova K ward. That name is an abbreviation. Counting us there were 24 in attendance today. Elder's Petersen and Allred came out with a new member to pick us up. He is a taxi driver. He charged us 300 rubles which is about $4. It took about 40 minutes. The roads have lots of potholes so you couldn't drive very fast. 

The fast and testimony meeting was good. The elders told us what was said. Everyone seemed to appreciate mine and Dad's efforts to bear testimony. I got lots of hugs afterwards. The new member who drove us to church is the first counselor in the presidency. They had two young men to bless the sacrament and one to pass it. Everything was conducted like it is here. In Relief Society a woman, who had come in late acted as my interpreter. They spent the time discussing what they wanted to do at their home making or extra meeting. 


It's hard not being able to understand everyone but I hope that will get better as time goes by. Just know that the church is the same wherever you are. That knowledge certainly gives me a lot of peace and comfort. I love being here but it's still hard not knowing what's being said. A few things have made us nervous but all in all it's a wonderful experience. 

I love you all!!! 
Oma & Opa

Volga River

Oma Along the Volga

Opa Near the Volga

No comments:

Post a Comment