Thursday, February 9, 2017

Sunday, December 04, 2016

So the Ottesen’s are finally back from Riga. They’ve been gone 10 days in order to get a 3 yr Visa.  I’ve kept busy this week. I was approached by Elder Lytle about helping him put together a small Russian Answer Kay booklet. He had the pages scanned and I got to figure out how to get them shrunk down on paper in the right order for a book. Then I laminated the first and last page and bound the booklet. I made 60 of them.

While I was printing the printer ran out of yellow ink. I pulled it out and shook it like I’ve done a million times (it usually last longer that way). This time, apparently, I shook it the wrong way because yellow powder flew out all over my hand and sleeve. I figured that my blouse was going in the trash. I decided to go right home and wash the shirt. I, at least, needed to try. So I pre-scrubbed it and a lot came out. Then I put it through the wash, and it all came out. Thank Heaven.

The Elders and Sisters get a planner every 6 weeks. This is a place that they can keep tract of appointment, goals, etc. Well they like to decorate planners for each other. They can get pretty creative. I helped Elder Lytle with some pictures to make one for Elder Lee. Elder Lee is back to being one of my NovoK Elders. He was a few cycles ago and now he is here again. Elder Miller is my other Elder.

It was so funny, last week Dad got a call from Elder Pacheco:
Elder Pacheco, “Elder Stewart, we are trying to play a joke on Elder Buchanan, if he calls to ask you heard that Tom Brady (Patriots Quarterback) hurt his knee then please tell him that you knew about it.”
Elder Stewart, “Well, ok I guess.”
EP, “Ask Sister Stewart to as well.”
ES, “As a joke if Elder Buchanan calls about whether or not you herd that Tom Brady hurt his knee Elder Pacheco wants you to tell him yes.”
SS, “I’m not going to lie (I can’t upset my Volunteer), If he asks I’ll just say I haven’t heard.”

Okay so they hang up and we never did hear from Elder Buchanan. The next day Dad was reading the news on line and found out that Tom Brady really did hurt his knee.

ES, “Elder Pacheco, I just read that Tom Brady hurt his knee.”
EP, “No way, you can’t be serious.”
ES, “I’m serious.”
After a lot of discussion he finally believed Dad. I accused him of cursing Tom Brady.

One really cool thing I noticed is that the strollers here come equipped with runners for sleds. You press some lever and the wheels retract and the stroller becomes a sled. With the conditions of the sidewalk and roads it is a really good thing.

I washed clothes Friday night, including the sheets. We had clothes and stuff hanging from everywhere. Saturday Dad and I decided to go for a walk. We wanted to take pictures of the Volga River starting to freeze. We bundled up and I added tights under my Levi’s. We started going down river and the wind was stinging our eyes with ice crystals. The snow was so cold it was making a squeaking noise when we walked on it. We went down a ways and then decided we needed to put the wind to our backs.

We walked up and took pictures of a hover craft. As we were walking to the market we went by a burned out car. There was a car seat lying on the ground. I don’t know what happened but I hope everyone was alright. After hitting the store we made it back to the apartment. It was nasty outside but it felt good getting out.

At 4:15 we walked to the office and road to a baptism with the Ottesen’s. President baptized Jhonatan. He had to hunt down some white pants that would fit him. He is a tall man. Fortunately he found some. I didn’t even think about bringing baptism clothes with us. We didn’t figure we’d be doing any. But since the sisters taught Jhonatan, he asked President to baptize him. Jhonatan is from Peru and is going to school here on a scholarship. He graduates soon and will probably move to Houston in February, where his mother lives. He is hoping to find a scholarship to help him get his masters. Dad hooked him up with Peter to see if he could help him. I don’t know where it went.

Jhonatan baptism was really great. We didn’t have anyone translate for us but you could really feel the spirit there. They had testimonies after and I only picked out a word here or there but I could feel the happiness, the spirit testifying that this was right, this was good.

Sunday was fast Sunday and we got the opportunity to both listen and bear our testimonies. I love this branch so much. They are very special people. Relief Society was great. Larisa wasn’t there to translate for me so Elder Lee came in to do it. They gave a lesson from the Liahona that was titled “Love or Lust.” As soon as I saw the title my heart sank for Elder Lee. He handled it very well. The sisters were definitely going off with lots of comments. He got lost many times because they speak so fast. I just had to chuckle to myself. It is probably a good thing he didn’t get it all.

I love you all. I’m sending pictures of the Volga, The baptism and Dad and I.

Love

Mom

















No comments:

Post a Comment