Thursday, February 9, 2017

Sunday, November 27, 2016

I don’t know where the time goes. You will blink twice and we’ll be home. I was thinking the other day how much I’m going to miss my branch when we leave. Sister Vera was back at church for the first time since her heart surgery. We hugged each other tight and I didn’t think she would let me go. Sister Lyudmila and I hugged and did our traditional “I love you too” in English. I think I could squeeze the stuffing out each and every one of them. Larisa is my buddy at church. She is 30 (I think) and not married yet. She is pretty and has a wonderful smile. She translates for me in Relief Society. She would like to find a husband but active members of the church who are single are not very plentiful.

Each Sunday I bring my NovoK elders a treat. This was elder Miller’s first time receiving it and he was pretty excited. The Avrora Sisters came to NovoK today so I gave them come chocolate chip cookies also. Larisa didn’t get any of the cookies I took to the Thanksgiving party yesterday so I brought her some cookies also. She squealed and gave me a hug. I can’t believe how much everyone loves my cookies. Thanks for the recipe Grace!!

It started snowing yesterday and most of today. When we went to leave church the snow was actually blowing sideways. I bought me some tights so walking to work tomorrow won’t be as cold on my legs. Although it’s interesting, when it’s snowing it’s actually warmer than when the sun is out, it just looks colder.

We were invited to watch Elizaveta open her mission call on Thursday night. She had people guessing on a world map. She was skyping in the Dunn’s who were a prior senior couple. She was shaking she was so nervous. She had a hard time opening the envelope only to discover there was another envelope. She finally got that one opened and took out the booklet and then put her letter behind that. She didn’t want to be able to look ahead.

She started reading and since we remember our call we understood what she was saying even though it was in Russian. She got called to the St. Petersburg Mission. I talked to her later and she said going to St. Petersburg was her dream.  It was so fun to be a part of that. One of the pictures I’m sending is of Elizaveta and Kreshenya. Kreshenya has the dreads. She is a very strong member of the church. She brought her friend with her, who speaks very good English. Kreshenya does also. They wanted to know about our home and family.

Friday was our district meeting. The AP’s were supposed to be back but missed their train and had to ride back on a bus for 12 hours. Our District leader is actually in Orenburg which is a long ways a way so he and Elder Harding skype in. Dad and I bought pizza for the district and the office for Thanksgiving. We should have been done with it before the meeting but the pizza was late getting to the office. I felt bad for Elders Wilde and Harding; they got to watch us eat pizza. It was killing them. I did tell them I had a jar of peanut butter and a jar of Nutella for them when I saw them next; that made them feel better.

Friday I left work early and started making cookies. I made a quadruple batch of chocolate chunk cookies. I think I was done around 9:00 PM. Saturday morning I got up and fried up my hamburger and onion for the Shepherd’s Pie I was going to make. Then I started on my pies. I made my dough and it didn’t spread out like it was supposed to, so instead of 3 pie crusts I had enough for two. So I decided to just make an apple pie.

I worked hard on rolling out the dough. I even built up a sweat. I put in the bottom crust, and then I peeled and sliced the apples, adding them to the pie. This recipe called for me to make the sauce for the pie in a pan on the stove and then pour it over the lattice top crust and onto the apples. It was difference but tasted pretty darn good.
 
After finishing the pie Dad and I got ready for the Thanksgiving party. Ramon drove us there and back. He picked us up and then was helping his daughter with her car, apparently there was a fire. He said it can be repaired.

The Avrora branch hosted the party and invited Besmanski, Toliatte and NovoK branches. We had over a hundred people there (counting volunteers). They started with a program and musical number. Then they had games in various places. There was pumpkin bowling, Darts, Uno, Chess, Checkers, musical chairs and a Thanksgiving Turkey. Elder Lee played the turkey. He had a box on his back and you wrote down something you were thankful for and put it in the box and then you got a candy. He was really getting into his part. There were posters for each branch hung on the wall when people could write down what they are thankful for. Our NovoK investigator Mike brought his son with him.



Once home I started making my rolls for the dinner on Sunday. We had Shepherd’s pie, salad, rolls and pie and ice cream. I also sent them home with some chocolate chip cookies.


Church was great, I love spending it with the people at our branch. I am so grateful for the experience we are having. It’s changed since the New Law but I do know the volunteers appreciate us looking out for them. I do know Dad and I make the Ottesen’s job a little easier for them. It is truly a special time to be able to dedicate your time, talents and service to the Lord. Just know how much I love all of you, Dad too (loves you). I appreciate all your efforts to keep us involved in your lives. You are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment